Earlier today while I (Dakota) was on my way back home from my orthodontist appointment, I ran into a very interesting Korean man named Mr. Lee. After finding out that I was living here in Seoul due to the military, he told me that he had served in the Korean War. In fact, he was a defector from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea Army (North Korea). I was honestly astounded when I heard this. I actually have met another Korean man who fought in the war, but never have I met a North Korean who escaped from the DPRK and fought for the South.
He told me that he loves America, because without the United States South Korea would not be free. He also lamented about the fact that the younger generation of South Koreans are being taught in the schools and colleges that North Korea is good, and the US is a capitalist-interventionist nation. "What a terrible thing," he said, "North Korea is not good, it is H***!" What a remorseful thing; this man and many other Koreans, along with hundreds of thousands of US soldiers fought for the freedoms that South Korea now enjoys, what a pity that the young generation of Koreans don't appreciate it. By the way, does this sound familiar?
Well there is more to his story. He told me that he was offered a large sum of money by the government if he would return to North's side. In fact, the amount they offered him was roughly equivalent to 3/4 of what a politician would have made at that time. He refused. He and his sister were the only ones who escaped from North Korea, and the rest of his family unfortunately were sent up north (to a concentration camp) and were eventually killed.
Wow, what a story! I wish I would have had more time to talk to this hero, but unfortunately our conversation only lasted about 5 minutes due to me having to get off of the subway. I thanked him for his service to his country then got off, later wishing that I would have stayed on for another stop and at least gotten his picture, but oh well. At least I was blessed enough to hear the bit of his story that I did, it was so inspiring :)
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the short account of Mr. Lee, a Korean War hero. May God bless him and his sister, and all the other Koreans who have and will escape from the evil hands of the North Korean Government. And especially those who served in the Korean War.
Blessings,
Dakota
Awesome experience Dakota. I've had similar experiences with people and I later regret not spending more time with that person. You'd like the book..."Aquariams of PYONGYANG". Thanks for being a young man who appreciates the price of Liberty. Dad
ReplyDelete